Old Pueblo Trolley is a volunteer, non-profit corporation founded in 1983 to “Bring Back the Trolley” that once connected downtown with the university. With that as the first goal, volunteers installed track and overhead electric line, and restored and operated trolleys for over 18 years until the City removed the infrastructure for construction of their modern streetcar.
The initial purpose of the organization was much broader. Thus in the intervening years the organization has evolved into three divisions. The Street Railway Division restores and operates the trolleys, and currently is working with the city on plans to once again operate them along with the modern streetcars. The Motor Bus Division preserves, restores and someday hopes to operate transit buses used in Arizona cities. The Museum Division operates the Southern Arizona Transportation Museum located at the historic Southern Pacific Railroad depot where Locomotive 1673 is on display.